Military Discharge Upgrades

Veterans Law Lawyers

A veteran’s character of discharge can have a profound effect upon his or her entire life after service. Upgrading a discharge may lead to greater eligibility for veterans’ benefits, chances of obtaining better employment and housing, removal of a ‘bad paper discharge’ stigma, and simple vindication. At Grimes Teich Anderson, we assist veterans with upgrading their military discharges. We understand that veterans obtain a host of different discharge classifications for a host of different reasons. Sometimes discharges which are less than honorable are the result of an underlying service-connected disability, such as PTSD, sometimes they are the product of past errant behavior, such as drunken and disorderly conduct, and sometimes the branches of the uniformed services are simply wrong when administering discharges. Sometimes the events that were considered errant behavior by the military, resulting in a bad paper discharge, are no longer considered errant behavior. Even when a discharge upgrade is not possible, we can assist veterans with possibly obtaining VA benefits through a process called Character of Discharge Determination.

There are up to three avenues a veteran can pursue to alter his or her discharge and its effects: the Discharge Review Board (“DRB”), the Board for Correction of Military Records (“BCMR”), and the VA. Each military branch has its own DRB and BCMR and each board has its specific rules and timelines. The Veterans Law Attorneys at Grimes Teich Anderson can assist qualified veterans in applying to these boards and the VA when applicable.

Our Military Discharge Upgrade Services

At Grimes Teich Anderson, we assist veterans during many stages in order to obtain the discharge they may deserve. Veterans law attorneys can provide the following representation:

  • Review your service record, discharge, and post-separation records, including pertinent employment and other records;
  • Help obtain the necessary evidence and organize the facts of your case;
  • Research the law, rules, regulations, and prior cases that are relevant to your case;
  • Identify the available procedural options;
  • Combine the evidence, facts and research to present the most favorable basis and compelling arguments for a discharge upgrade;
  • Prepare written arguments and briefs for either the Discharge Review Board (DRB), the Board for Correction of Military Records (BCMR), the VA, or all of the above;
  • Receive and respond to letters and requests; and
  • Represent you in person before the above stated organizations and agencies.

Current Minimum Discharge Requirements

Honorable Discharge

  • Education Benefits Transfer
  • Montgomery GI Bill
  • Post-9/11 GI Bill
  • Troops to Teachers

General Discharge (under Honorable Conditions)

  • Right to Wear the Uniform
  • Armed Forces Retirement Home
  • DoD Military Funeral Honors
  • Naturalization through Armed Forces Service
  • Civil Service Retirement Credit
  • Federal Civil Service Hiring Preference
  • Post-Secondary Education Readmission
  • USERRA Reemployment Rights

Other than Honorable Discharge (Adjudicated by VA as “Other than Dishonorable”) and Bad Conduct Discharge under Special Court Martial (Adjudicated by VA as “Other than Dishonorable”)

  • Service-Connected Disability Compensation
  • Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)
  • Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance
  • Vocational Rehabilitation
  • Automobile Allowance
  • Clothing Allowance
  • Service-Disabled Veterans Life Insurance
  • Specially Adapted Housing Grants
  • Veterans Mortgage Life Insurance
  • Home Loan Guaranty
  • Veterans Group Life Insurance
  • Non-Service Connected Disability Pension
  • Veterans Retraining Assistance Program
  • Educational and Vocational Counseling
  • Burial in VA National Cemeteries
  • Health Care
  • Patriot Express Small Business Loans
  • Rural Housing Loan Preference
  • DOL Priority Service for Employment and Training

Bad Conduct Discharge under General Court Martial

  • Department of Education Upward Bound
  • SGLI/VGLI Conversion

Whatever the root cause of your undesirable discharge is, the veterans law attorneys at Grimes Teich Anderson may be able to assist you with upgrading your discharge.

"I made a wise decision in choosing Grimes Teich Anderson to handle my personal injury claim. I would recommend them to anyone who finds themselves battling an insurance company that doesn’t care that you’re injured and in a bind. Great job guys."

Paul W.


"Great experience having GTA handle my case. I will recommend them to all my friends and family. Very professional and knowledgeable about workers compensation law."

Rusty G.


"What a great group to work with. Grimes Teich Anderson are very knowledgeable and take the time to go over everything and explain the process clearly to make sure you get the most you deserve. I highly recommend this firm."

Colleen M.


Fighting For Your Legal Rights, Right By Your Side. Contact Our Law Offices Today.

To fully recover from an accident, you need an aggressive legal team that does not rest until they get the results you want and need. At Grimes Teich Anderson, our experienced team remains available to you 24/7. If you have questions about an injury or disability matter, contact us today.

Send a Message

* Required
Contact Form - Condensed

No attorney client relationship is formed with the submission of this contact form. Privacy Policy.

Office location map

We have multiple locations in the Carolinas to serve you

Grimes Teich Anderson offers free injury consultations and can get started on your case electronically.


535 College St,
Asheville, NC 28801
(828) 251-0800

Personal Injury Fax:
(828) 210-0178

Workers' Comp Fax:
(828) 236-9200


244 Porter St Suite D,
Franklin, NC 28734
(828) 564-2488

Personal Injury Fax:
(828) 210-0178

Workers' Comp Fax:
(828) 236-9200


117 Laurel Dr,
Rutherfordton, NC 28139
(828) 286-1033

Personal Injury Fax:
(828) 210-0178

Workers' Comp Fax:
(828) 236-9200


12474 NC-226,
Spruce Pine, NC 28777
(828) 766-7700

Personal Injury Fax:
(828) 210-0178

Workers' Comp Fax:
(828) 236-9200


385 N Haywood St,
Waynesville, NC 28786
(828) 452-7888

Personal Injury Fax:
(828) 210-0178

Workers' Comp Fax:
(828) 236-9200


111 E North St,
Greenville, SC 29601

Phone: (864) 421-0770
Fax: (877) 518-0107

*Each case is different, so not all information on this website, as well as some which may not be provided, will apply to every case. Because the facts and relevant laws are different from case to case, Grimes Teich Anderson does not guarantee that the outcome, results, or experiences with one lawyer or one case will be similar to another.

Except for Employment Law Cases, Attorney's fees are a percentage of the entire recovery and will be deducted before other expenses. In addition to the fee in these cases, Client will be responsible for litigation expenses, which will either be deducted from the recovery or paid by the client. Some Employment Law Cases may be handled on a contingency fee basis and others handled on an hourly basis, where the client is billed for the hours spent on the case. Based on our experience, we will advise you of the most appropriate fee arrangement in Employment Law cases.

Material on this website is for information purposes and is not legal advice.

Scroll to Top
Skip to content