Brian A. Buchanan
Born in 1965 in Huntington, West Virginia, Brian grew up in Spruce Pine, North Carolina. Brian's mother was a nurse and his father was a doctor in Spruce Pine who ran a clinic, worked in the hospital emergency room, made house calls to people in need. Brian often accompanied his parents when the house calls were after hours. Growing up in a home where taking care of others was so important continues to inspire Brian in his work representing injured and disabled people.
In the mid-1990's, before he began representing injured people, Brian worked for an insurance defense firm in Greensboro where he amassed considerable experience in injury litigation and wrongful death. His civil litigation experience, in both state and federal courts, includes auto and trucking accidents, negligence, premises liability, product liability, eminent domain, railroad employee injuries, construction, and business disputes. He has also presented cases before the North Carolina Supreme Court and the North Carolina Court of Appeals. Brian also devotes a considerable part of his practice to representing disabled people in hearings with the Social Security Administration.
Brian's past legal and volunteer work includes being an attorney advocate for the Mitchell County Guardian Ad Litem program from 1998-2015. Since 1995 he has been a volunteer attorney for Mitchell County Animal Rescue and he has volunteered for Habitat for Humanity in Mitchell and Yancey Counties. He has served on numerous boards including the YMCA, United Way, Spruce Pine Montessori School, and the Spruce Pine Community Hospital Ethics Committee. He has been the Town Attorney for Bakersville, North Carolina since 1995.
Brian has a son, Jay and a daughter, Annie Jo. He and his wife Carla live in Burnsville and attend Higgins United Methodist Church.
- J.D., Wake Forest University School of Law, 1990
- B.A., Appalachian State University, 1987
- North Carolina, 1990
- Tennessee, 2023
- U.S. 4th Circuit Court of Appeals, 1991
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of North Carolina, 1992
- U.S. District Court, Western District of North Carolina, 1993
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina, 2023
- Admitted to practice before the Social Security Administration
- Tennessee Trial Lawyers Association
- North Carolina Academy of Justice Legal Affairs Committee
- 24th Judicial Bar Association
- 28th Judicial Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- Disability Advocacy Section
- Auto Torts & Premises Liability Section
- Civil Rights Section
- National Trial Lawyers
- Trucking Trial Lawyers Association
If you or someone you love was injured in an auto accident in North Carolina or South Carolina, contact Grimes Teich Anderson LLP today and request your free case evaluation.
Grimes Teich Anderson LLP has law offices located in Asheville, Rutherfordton, Waynesville and Spruce Pine, North Carolina and Greenville, South Carolina. Call Grimes Teich Anderson today at 800-533-6845 or complete our free case evaluation form online.
*Every case is different and may have a different result.
People never plan to be disabled or seriously injured. When it happens, it can be a dark and confusing time. My mission is to explain the situation, ease the fears, and make things better in difficult times. That is my purpose. I can’t imagine doing anything else.