Parents nationwide are filing lawsuits against Enfamil and Similac manufacturers Mead Johnson and Abbott Laboratories, alleging that the baby formulas they produce cause necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) in newborn babies. NEC is a severe and potentially fatal gastrointestinal condition that primarily affects premature babies who rely on formula feeding to aid their body’s development and help them gain weight. Unfortunately, more than 50% of premature babies diagnosed do not survive.
This potentially deadly condition has recently been linked to baby formula made with cow’s milk. While Mead Johnson and Abbott Laboratories knew of its detrimental effects, they failed to warn parents and hospitals adequately of its health risks. Instead, the manufacturers continued to market the products to parents and healthcare providers as a safe and beneficial option for formula feeding.
Now, the affected families are prepared to litigate. Has your newborn developed NEC after formula feeding? Contact the baby formula lawsuit attorneys at Grimes Teich Anderson for a free case evaluation as soon as possible by calling 800-533-6845.
What is Necrotizing Enterocolitis (NEC) From Baby Formula?
Necrotizing Enterocolitis (NEC) occurs when the tissue in the intestinal wall becomes inflamed and forms holes than could leak bacteria into the abdomen and blood. This condition is most common in premature or sick infants and is likely to develop while still in the hospital, often requiring surgery.
Signs and symptoms of NEC in babies include:
- Abdominal pain and swelling
- Changes in heart rate, blood pressure, body temperature, and breathing
- Diarrhea with bloody stool
- Green or yellow vomit
- Refusing to eat and lack of weight gain
What Baby Formulas Cause NEC?
You may be entitled to compensation if you or your medical provider fed your newborn baby the following formulas before being diagnosed with NEC:
- Similac Special Care
- Similac Human Milk Fortifier
- Similac NeoSure
- Similac Alimentum
- Similac Alimentum Expert Care
- Similac Human Milk Fortifier Concentrated Liquid
- Similac Human Milk Fortifier Powder
- Similac Liquid Protein Fortifier
- Similac Special Care 20
- Similac Special Care 24
- Similac Special Care 24 High Protein
- Enfamil Human Milk Fortifier Acidified Liquid
- Enfamil Human Milk Fortifier Powder
- Similac Special Care 30
- Similac Human Milk Fortifier Hydrolyzed Protein- Concentrated Liquid
- Enfacare Powder
- Enfamil Human Milk Fortifier Liquid High Protein
- Enfamil Milk Fortifier Liquid Standard Protein
- Enfamil NeuroPro Enfacare
- Enfamil Premature 20 Cal
- Enfamil Premature 24 Cal
- Enfamil Premature 24 Cal/fl oz HP
- Enfamil Premature 30 Cal
- Enfamil 24 and DHA & ARA Supplement
We Protect the Families of The Carolinas. Contact Grimes Teich Anderson Today.
As a parent, you strive to do everything right for your child to make sure they’re healthy and safe. But, when that is threatened due to the negligence of a manufacturer you know and trust, it can devastate your entire family. At Grimes Teich Anderson, our dedicated and compassionate attorneys are here to help you through this challenging time and ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation and justice your family needs to heal.
We want to hear from you if you or a loved one’s baby has developed NEC after formula feeding. Contact Grimes Teich Anderson today by filling out and submitting a contact form below or calling our office toll-free at 800-533-6845 for a free legal consultation.