Scott M. Anderson
Scott Anderson has been an attorney since 1989 and is licensed to practice in North Carolina and South Carolina. Because of that, he can often be found working and meeting clients in any one of the Grimes Teich Anderson offices in upstate South Carolina and Western North Carolina.
Early in his career, Scott focused on insurance defense and criminal defense, representing several auto insurance companies and workers compensation insurance companies as well as the S.C Uninsured Employers Fund. He regularly was lead counsel in jury trials and administrative hearings for these clients. In his criminal defense practice, Scott tried to verdict cases ranging from murder to criminal sexual conduct to driving while under the influence.
In 1994, Scott's practice transitioned to the representation of injured people in civil trials and workers compensation hearings. Since that time, he has only represented injured people in hundreds of hearings, motions, and trials, and also advised on pre-suit settlements.
His fortunate combination of substantial trial experience and familiarity with oppressive insurance company practices makes him a strong advocate for injured people who need help to get the money and care they deserve. Scott has a particular interest in representing children and their families.
Scott has represented clients and obtained favorable verdicts for injured people in State Court and United States Districts Court in North Carolina and South Carolina. He has argued cases in the North Carolina Court of Appeals, the South Carolina Court of Appeals, and the South Carolina Supreme Court. Scott is also admitted to the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court. He is admitted to the Bar of the Eastern Band of the Cherokee.
Scott is a Certified Civil Mediator in the state of South Carolina. He is included in the 2020-2022 editions of Best Lawyers in America® for Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs. Scott is rated AV® Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell, a well-respected national organization that has been providing ratings and information about lawyers for more than 140 years. This significant rating is based on peer reviews and attests to the lawyer's high legal skill and ethical standards. Scott has also been accepted for membership in the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. Only attorneys who have had a case or trial which resulted in a verdict or settlement in the amount of one million dollars or more may become members.*
Scott is included on the 2020, 2021, and 2022 South Carolina Super Lawyers® lists for personal injury law and the 2021 and 2022 North Carolina Super Lawyers® list for personal injury law. The list is an annual state-by-state rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas and all firm sizes who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. No more than 5 percent of attorneys in the state are selected for the list. Scott is a member of The National Trial Lawyers Association Top 100, the Academy of Truck Accident Attorneys, and the Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Accident Lawyers of America. He was selected Greenville Business Magazine Legal Elite in 2020 and 2021 for personal Injury.
Scott has been married to Melissa since 1988 and they have four children. He is a member of Westminster Presbyterian Church and also attends Triune Mercy Center. He has served on the Boards of First Presbyterian Kindergarten, the South Carolina RSD Support Group, the St. Andrews Society of Upper South Carolina, and the Caesars Head Community Center. Scott volunteered with Troop 19 of the Boy Scouts and coached youth basketball at his church. He likes to spend time with his family, support the Tarheels and the Gamecocks, hike, and play golf.
- J.D., University of South Carolina School of Law, 1989
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1986
- South Carolina, 1989
- North Carolina, 1990
- U.S. 4th Circuit Court of Appeals, 1990
- U.S. District Court, South Carolina District, 1990
- U.S. District Court, North Carolina Western District, 1993
- U.S. District Court, North Carolina Middle District, 1997
- Cherokee Supreme Court (Eastern Band), 2007
- United States Supreme Court, 2009
- U.S. District Court, North Carolina Eastern District, 2012
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 2018
- American Association for Justice
- South Carolina Association for Justice
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- South Carolina Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Association, Former Board Member
- South Carolina Bar Resolution of Fee Disputes Board - member
- Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America
- Academy of Truck Accident Attorneys
- Best Lawyers in America® Personal Injury Law Litigation – Plaintiff 2020-2022
- Super Lawyers® North Carolina – Personal Injury Law 2021-2022
- Super Lawyers® South Carolina – Personal Injury Law 2020-2022
- Greenville Business Magazine Legal Elite - 2020, 2021
- Naylor Concrete Construction Co. v. Mid-Continent Cas.Co., 2014 wl 223221 (N.C. App. 2014)
- Escobar v. Federal Express Corp., 2011-UP-199467, S.C. Ct. App. (2011)
- Shelton v. Steelcase, Inc., 197 N.C.App. 404, 677 S.E.2d 485 (N.C.App. 2009); disc. rev. denied, 682 S.E.2d 389 (2009)
- Multiple Claimants v. N.C. Dept. of Health and Human Services, 176 N.C.App. 278, 626 S.E.2d 666 (N.C.App. 2006); aff'd as modified, 361 N.C. 372, 646 S.E.2d 356 (2007)
- Hendricks v. Clemson University, 353 S.C. 449, 578 S.E. 2d 711 (2003)
- Warren v. Merastar Insurance Co., 2002-UP-789, S.C. Ct. App. (2002)
- Greene v. Absorba Oshkosh and Liberty Mutual Ins. Co., 2000-UP-N.C. Ct. App. (2000)
- Hendricks v. Clemson University, 339 S.C. 552, 529 S.E. 2d 293 Ct. App. (2000)
- Mitch Contracting Co. v. Terra Nova Insurance, 2000-UP-033, S.C. Ct App. (2000)
- Morasco v. Dunklin Fire Dept. & S.C. Uninsured Employer's Fund, 2000-UP-324 S.C. Ct. App. (2000)
- Zeager v. Mitch Contracting Co., 1998-UP-337 (1998)
- Minarovich v. Textile Stores & Companion Property & Casualty, 97-UP-336 S.C. Ct. App. (1997)
- Revis v. Allshouse and Auto Owners Insurance, 94-UP-185, S.C. Ct. App. (1994)
- Mosley v. Bi-Lo, Inc., 93-UP-S.C. Ct. App. (1993)
- First Federal Savings and Loan Ass'n v. Stephens, 91-UP-S.C. Ct. App. (1991)
- Rouse v. Rouse, 91-UP-118 S.C. Ct. App. (1991)
- Wright v. General Heating and Air, 306 S.C. 331, 411 S.E.2d 829 Ct. App. (1991)
If you or someone you love was injured in an auto accident in North Carolina or South Carolina, contact Grimes Teich Anderson LLP today and request your free case evaluation.
Grimes Teich Anderson LLP has law offices located in Asheville, Rutherfordton, Waynesville and Spruce Pine, North Carolina and Greenville, South Carolina. Call Grimes Teich Anderson today at 800-533-6845 or complete our free case evaluation form online.
*Every case is different and may have a different result.
I like the competition of law. I like to win, and I hate to lose. The best way to win is to prepare. I like the fight, but proper preparation can achieve victory without fighting. My competitive nature and willingness to prepare define my approach to practicing law. After 30+ years of litigation and hundreds of trials, hearings, motions, and appeals, I provide my clients with sensible advice resulting in smart litigation solutions. That is what I offer my clients.