Do You Have to Report Minor Car Accidents in South Carolina?

In South Carolina, you are obligated to report any car accident that causes injuries, death, or results in at least $1,000 worth of property damage to the vehicle. Even a seemingly minor fender bender can result in serious injuries that don’t become apparent until later. Likewise, cars can sustain damage that isn’t immediately noticeable. So, if you find yourself in a car accident in South Carolina, you should report it and do it as soon as possible to protect your legal rights.

What Happens if You Do Not Report an Accident in South Carolina?

Failure to properly report a car accident in South Carolina could result in serious repercussions, from license suspension to a misdemeanor or even a felony charge. Additionally, if you do not complete and send back the insurance verification form from the police within 15 days, the state could suspend your driver’s license. Failure to report your accident to your insurance carrier may also result in the carrier canceling or refusing to renew your policy.

According to S.C. Ann. § 56-5-1210, every driver involved in an accident leading to an injury or death must stop the vehicle immediately and stay at or near the scene. Involved parties must also exchange information with the other drivers and help injured people.

Under S.C. Ann. § 56-5-1260, every driver involved in an accident that leads to injury or fatalities must immediately notify the local police department if the accident happens within the municipality. If the accident occurs in a different location, drivers must notify the County Sheriff’s Office or the nearest office of the South Carolina Highway Patrol. This must be done in the quickest manner, whether oral or written.

How to Report an Accident in South Carolina

Generally, there are two ways to report an accident in South Carolina:

  1. Call the police. Whether 911 or a local police department, calling law enforcement is the best move when reporting an accident. That way, you can receive help at the scene and an official police report investigation of the collision.
  2. Report the accident to the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (SCDMV). If the police were not immediately called after the accident, or officers could not respond to the scene, the impacted drivers can report the crash in the following days to the SCDMV. To file these reports, motorists must fill out Form 309 (Traffic Collision Report Form) and mail it to the DMV within 15 days of the accident. Unfortunately, there is no online option to complete and submit this report.

How to Get a Copy of Your Car Accident Report in South Carolina

In South Carolina, you can request a collision report online, in person, or by mail.

To request a report online, click here and enter all the information that identifies you and the collision.

To request a report in person, you must complete the Request for Copy of Collision Report (SCDMV Form FR-50) with as much information as possible. Ensure that both pages are filled out and signed, and then take the completed request form to any SCDMV branch office and pay the $6 research fee with cash, credit/debit card, check, or money order. To find a local SCDMV branch, click here.

To request a report by mail, fill out both pages of the above form with as much information as possible. In the envelope, include a check or money order made out to the SCDMV. Cash is not accepted.

Then, mail it to the following address:

Titles Mail-in Unit FR-50
PO Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016-0050

We Protect The Rights of South Carolina Drivers

No matter how careful you are on the road, a careless driver could put your health and safety in jeopardy at any time. After an accident, you need a car accident attorney who will make things right. The car accident lawyers at Grimes Teich Anderson will work hard to hold the at-fault party accountable and secure the compensation you need to get back on your feet – and we won’t get paid until you do.

Contact Grimes Teich Anderson today by submitting a form below or calling our office toll-free at 800-533-6845 for a free legal consultation.

Scroll to Top
Skip to content